Thursday, November 25, 2021

Bridged LTE to firewall setup - need help

So, last minute our ISP cancelled our cable connection for our new branch office.

Best thing I came up with is pair of LTE modem x Firewall devices, to bridge the LTE connection over to WAN of Firewall to estabilish VPN tunel with our central FW.

I did this many times, except not with cellular. Our tele company promissed my data sim card has a "public static IP" of 195.XX.XX.XX. When I set up LTE modem I, however, got resolved WAN IP of 100.XX.XX.XX instead. On top of that, a public IP reports back as 195.YY.YY.YY (different as supposed!).

I verified with tele company they confirmed it's indeed set up correctly with the SIM card, my settings are probably off.

I don't see what could be set up wrong on WAN part of LTE modem but anyways I picked up USB LTE dongle, put SIM in it and tried locally on my computer. Whatsmyip returned 195.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ (again, different from XX and YY!).

I am pretty much convinced it has to be on tele company part, something is not right with this static-o-dynamic ip. Anyways, it also made me think how it's supposed to work. Especially the WAN IP resolved by modem (100.XX.XX.XX) differs from actual public IP. Shouldn't it be supposed to be the same? Because that's the goal pretty much, if I can't bridge static public WAN IP to WAN of my Firewall i am pretty much done.

Any ideas, explanations, experience much appreciated. Running out of time :(



No comments:

Post a Comment