Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Viability of open source networking solutions

I have recently moved to networking as a career, currently working in a NOC and dealing with networks at several large organisation - mostly Cisco and Juniper with some Aruba sprinkled in here and there. Due to the variety of customers, amount of legacy equipment etc., things are held together with copious amounts of proverbial duct tape - they work, but not in the most elegant way.

I've always found open source solutions to be very elegant - provided that they work at all, that is - and I am wondering what is the state of play for open source networking solutions for enterprise. I am thinking primarily about wireless management, network monitoring, automation and security in the context of a smaller organisation (let's say up to 100-200 users).

Beyond academic interest (I'm a lifelong user and enthusiast of open source solutions), I suspect there is a market niche that can be served with open source solutions. I am thinking about smaller companies and mid-sized NGOs that have grown well beyond SOHO but don't have the budget for the latest and the greatest in enterprise solutions (note: I am based in CEE, where budgetary constraints hit harder that in Western Europe or North America).



No comments:

Post a Comment