Monday, October 25, 2021

Using 2 ISPs with their own wireless networks

I'm an IT administrator at a small school, and the principal is looking to improve internet stability on campus. We are currently receiving internet service from two providers, I'll just call them A and B.

A is setup with a modem and a single router. At the moment it's only used in a couple of teacher only rooms. B is setup with the Plume superpods, and there are several plugged in around the campus.

The principal wants to know if we can somehow maximize the total bandwidth of having both ISPs. Both ISPs offer packages with the Plume service, and so my question is would having two Plume networks be a bad idea? I know that Plume suggests you turn off your other Wi-Fi networks when you install it, but are they capable of working alongside another Plume network?

If it won't work, my alternative idea is to use one of the ISPs as a hardwire only connection, but that wouldn't be making the absolute most of the two bandwidths since only the teachers would be on the hardwired network.

Any ideas or things that I'm not thinking of? I'm relatively new to IT management so please forgive me if this is a newbie-ish question. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment