Thursday, October 21, 2021

Troubleshooting intermittent network outage (whole office)

I'd like to preface this with an apology first - I'm not a networking guy. I'm from a 1st/2nd line background parachuted into a small business to be the general IT guy. Part 1st line, part sysadmin, part whatever-the-f-the-boss-wants. This is my 2nd week in the job.

3 times this week we've had a full network outage (about 40 users). I (strongly) do not believe it to be external/ISP related as no other reports in the local area. Also a server reboot fixed it this time.

I am struggling to come to terms with the infrastructure on site. It appears to be a router > firewall > switch > windows server 2016, with various other local switches across the building. There are no indicative logs within event viewer as to what is causing the outage.

Local devices suddenly have no internet access and cannot ping the server 192.168.1.1

Finally, I know that DHCP is NOT setup on windows server. Using >ipconfig /all | find /i "Server" I can see the DHCP server IP address 192.168.1.250, but that is all. I can't see it within the Server 2016 dashboard.

So the question is where do I go from here? There's nothing obvious in Windows server. There are obviously no DHCP related event logs as DHCP outsourced to 192.168.1.250 but cannot get on to that. I don't even know if it's a standalone device or what.

Apologies again for the noobishness and long post, but I am very much stuck and have been given no information from my new employers. I am working backwards with domain admin credentials and that's it!



No comments:

Post a Comment