Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Strategy for future proof IP subnetting

Maybe this question is too simple but I am wondering if there are strategies to make IP subnetting as future proof as possible?

I got a /24 prefix which I'd like to split into various subnets. Some will be connecting p2p links (/31 and /30), some will be smaller ones (maybe /29), some larger ones (/27). Maybe I'll need one /26, but no /25. The problem is I don't know exactly how many of these subnets I will need down the line and how large exactly they will need to be (at the very beginning (=now), I only need 2x/31 and 3x/29).

I found this wonderful tool which is of great help: https://www.davidc.net/sites/default/subnets/subnets.html?network=192.168.0.0&mask=24&division=11.551

How would you start subnetting this to be as flexible as possible down the line (if this is even possible at all)?



No comments:

Post a Comment