Friday, October 15, 2021

Question about adding a Switch before the company Router/Network

Apologies if this isnt the correct subreddit to be posting this but figured id give it a shot.

I work at a print shop that has 15+ hardwired printers and desktop machines on one subnet and another 10 devices on wireless on another subnet. We host our own exchange server and run our Routing on Windows Server 2016 i believe. The owner of the company's uncle set up the entire network and is constantly out of town/unreachable for me to pick his brain. Now, I have some networking experience with Ubiquiti and PFSense routing but never with Windows Server hosted routing. The issue is both subnets, wired and wireless are constantly dropping connections/Email server not getting emails and I have been tasked with at least getting stable wireless up and running until the uncle can come in and troubleshoot everything himself.

Im hesitant to even touch the network.

My question is, as an immediate stop-gap, can i just branch off from where our Wan-In comes into the building with a cheap gigabit Switch and buy a Wireless Router for our wireless devices? My gut is telling me it wont be this easy without knocking everything else out of whack.

The other thought I had is, they are running a Cyberroam AP, which support ended for in 2017, and Im wondering if a new AP would be able to just plug and play/replace the Cyberroam AP.

Just figured I would ask the community for some input on this. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment