Thursday, October 21, 2021

One PC on LAN can only be pinged from the server

So I have a Windows Server 2012 box and I have one machine on the network that I need to be able to access via remote desktop. Previously we had another machine which we used exactly the same way. I can ping the server from this client, and the client from the server, but I can't ping the client from any other machine, either by IP or hostname. Pings and traceroutes time out.

Details: Client is running Windows 10 Pro. The server is a VM running on Hyper-V with a virtual hub and acts as DNS server, VPN server, and file server for a simple one-segment office network. It's set up this way so people can connect to the VPN and then RDP to the target client as if they were local. There's a Ubiquiti Edgerouter connecting the WAN to the server and acting as a switch for the single WAP that connects the office. It's all on the same subnet, nothing unusual.

The client machine is showing up in the server's DNS records. I've allocated it a static IP for simplicity's sake, outside the DHCP pool.

Things I've tried:

  • Verified that remote desktop connections are allowed on the target control panel
  • Re-registered the target client DNS
  • Removed and re-created the DNS entry on the server
  • Disabled the firewall on the target
  • Ensured that the target has network discovery enabled
  • Made sure all network discovery services are enabled on target
  • Flushed the DNS cache on the machines I'm using to contact the target
  • Ensured that the server address is added to the DNS list on the machines I'm using to attempt pinging (but again, IP pings don't work either)
  • Restarted everything
  • Argh!

If anyone has some ideas, I'd be very grateful!



No comments:

Post a Comment