Friday, October 8, 2021

Novice network human looking for some guidance

TL;DR - If I only want to monitor uptime, latency, packet loss, and jitter on network devices (ideally, just routers) and I have the known IPs for, will LibreNMS plus netdisco get the job done?

Thanks anybody for reading this, I am sorry to bug you guys but I am learning so slow (I am a networking novice) and I at least want to know I'm indeed heading the right direction.

Hello - long story short, I am helping out my buddy who has a small business he started three years ago. One part of his business he added is basic circuit monitoring for customers. That is: uptime, latency, packet loss, and jitter.

I would describe the current system as less than optimal. I'm being nice. From about a month of research and studying the subject, it looks like he needs a network monitoring solution. Right now, I don't want to spend money on a COTS solution. I would like to use LibreNMS with netdisco to track, manage, and monitor the nodes. I have been using Linux for about 5 years now and I am fairly fluent in Python if that means anything in the networking world. Once I believe I know enough to be dangerous, then I would either keep the system I build and hire somebody to maintain it or I would recommend my buddy buy a COTS solution. That's for later though.

In simple requirements speak:

The system shall monitor and report uptime, latency, packet loss, and jitter metrics on deployed/connected/lit/whatever network devices (mainly routers and switches).

The system shall notify (someone) when the above metrics ^^^ do something outside specified bands ("Hey NOC (that being me rn), this node is down." --- "Hey, thanks computer thingy, I'll call the customer and see how pissed off they are and walk them through power cycling their equipment (because that's all I know how to do rn).")

***I don't need anything fancy right now, if I do everything from the cmd line and it's dumping data in csv or txt files or whatever, that is perfectly fine rn. I can add pretty front end stuff later.

Thanks so much for any input provided. I really appreciate it.



No comments:

Post a Comment