Thursday, October 28, 2021

Networking hardware question

Not sure if this is exactly the right place to ask, please point me to the right place if this is the wrong one. I didn't see Hardware as a post flair, that seems weird to me, or like there might be another community that I'm overlooking.

The short version is that I'm looking for an inexpensive router or smart switch that'll provide DHCP for the LAN but also let me not set a default gateway for a /24 network.

The longer version is below

There is a small LAN on a vehicle that allows things on the LAN to talk to each other, These can be statically addressed and don't require internet access.
From time to time, laptops will need to be connected to the LANs to talk to the devices on the LAN.

However if there is a default gateway in the LAN's DHCP offer then the laptops try to use the LAN's Default Gateway rather than their cellular connection.

Seems like Window's network stack should be smart enough to go "oh, that DG is dead. let me use the other" but sadly no.

While I could just statically address the network adaptor of the laptops, that would be problematic with multiple machines as well as those machines need to be able to connect to regular networks with a valid DG

As far as why it needs to be cheap, we'd rather not spend hundreds of dollars for what is basically a little bay LAN that is mobile (because the vehicle is mobile), plus it'll be cheaper to replace when it fails and I can just restore a config file and have the operators just pop them in to place.

Anyway, if you guys have any recommendations, that'd be great



No comments:

Post a Comment