Thursday, October 7, 2021

I need help understanding tagged and untagged ports on vlans.

So recently I got a job in networking and am having trouble understanding vlans and when to tag or untag a port. I understand the basic concept of vlans and why you use them. They have been teaching me as I go but I’m having difficulties understanding when it is appropriate to tag/untag a port in a vlan. For example, I was told that you would put a printer or a pc on an untagged port and a phone or access point on a tagged port. Reason being was because phones and APs are “smart devices” but that only confused me even more. I was also told that you could put anything on an untagged port but each vlan can only have 1 untagged port while tagged ports can have as many as you want but not everything can be put on a tagged port (unless i misunderstood something). Can someone please explain why that is and how you determine what devices should be tagged or untagged in the simplest terms possible. I have tried googling it and all it did was confuse me even more. Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment