Thursday, October 7, 2021

Dhcp being sticky on windows 10

I am working on a segmentation project, which means reIPing windows desktops.

Its a fairly standard migration of creating new scopes and changing vlans on the switch ports. I also recommend the admins lower the existing lease time as the phased cutovers approach.

I'm impatient sometimes and try to force a machine to renew by shutting the switchport down, waiting, then doing a no shut. This is when the dhcp addresses seem to be sticky because the machine doesn't send out a dhcp request when it gets link BACK. Ive let it sit in a shut down state for 5+ minutes before bringing it back up, and it just comes back up with the previous dhcp address. A packet capture shows the machine doesn't send out a dhcp request.

If you do an ipconfig release/renew on the machine it pulls from the new range fairly quickly.

I might be crazy, but I'm pretty sure shutting down the port in the past has nugged machines to do a new dhcp request. Am I just imaging that? Is it some kind of timeout setting in their gpo?



No comments:

Post a Comment