Thursday, October 28, 2021

Complex VLAN Setup Failing: No Internet Access

I'm somewhat new to networking and may be over my head. While trying to learn about Active Directory Domain Controllers for my job, I'm attempting to create two VLANs for my own "noraml use" computers outside the Windows Domain and another for the Domain.

There are 3 pieces of networking equipment in play here:

  1. Main router to which I have no control (DHCP on 192.168.1.0/24)

  2. Ubiquiti ER-X router which i control completely. Has it's Internet port set with an IP on main router's subnet, i know that IP is available from the upstream router"s pool.

  3. TrendNet SmartSwitch with VLANs configured with single VLAN trunks to ER-X (my router) set as tagged for each VLAN. Client ports set untagged and communicating proven via ping.

No Internet access is provided when i plug the ER-X into thr upstream router via an intermediary switch.

My issue seems to be the default gateway settings. Each VLAN will give out DHCP addresses on other /24 subnets once those servers are set up and active, currently using static IPs on clients until then.

I'm at my wit's end with this. I cannot find resources to explain the default gateway settings for clients or the equipment under my control. I'm willing to pay someone to explain this to me and set it up at this point.

There must be a concept I'm missing. I really want to learn this for my personal setup and move toward a networking role for work. I'm very willing to learn and cannot find what I need.

Any help is appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment