Wednesday, October 20, 2021

CCIE isn't worth the paper it's printed on

It seemed like 10 years ago, CCIE exams were hard but not impossible. If someone had CCIE on their resume, you could at least partly trust that they knew what they were talking about. Maybe 5 years ago, it seemed like CCIE made their exams harder and it seems like the only way to pass now is cheat.

I have recently interviewed maybe 20 - 30 candidates with CCIE (one or multiple on their resumes) and not a single one has reflected the knowledge/skill that it would require to pass a CCIE. They can't answer basic questions about why you'd use OSPF vs BGP (CCIE R&S), the difference between WEP and WPA2 (Cisco CCIE Wireless) or the difference between SIP and SIP/TLS (CCIE Collaboration). The best I've had is a CCIE R&S stating that the difference between UDP and TCP is whether it's using IP or not. How about a CCIE R&S telling me that to do a health check on a Cisco Switch, they'd just check the version of IOS, that's all. Don't even ask them to troubleshoot anything, most don't have a clue how to think through that.

If you had some of the knowledge and experience and were cheating to "slightly" reach for CCIE, you probably cover it. But people without CCNA level knowledge seem to be trying to pass as CCIEs.

I mean, I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule and people who have actually worked hard at getting their CCIE. I'm saying that I haven't found anyone like this in the past 5 years and 20 - 30 interviews. If I see CCIE on a resume, in general, I just don't interview them anymore. It's just not worth the time.

Is everyone experiencing the same? Am I wrong?



No comments:

Post a Comment