Saturday, October 16, 2021

Best way to connect Windows 10 OS computers to a Filesystem server

Hey guys. First of all, please don't mind my ignorance, I know very little about networking. I am doing a research for a philanthropic organization that I am helping, and they have this demand to connect their computers to a filesystem server (those computers are not in a LAN, but in a WAN).

A little background, this organization (https://www.iges.org.br/) helps people with mental disorders, people who cannot take care of themselves, and so this organization have homes with caretakers and medical staff, and they take care of those people. I come from a web-developer background, so I can get my way around tech, but I confess that I know very little about networking (yes, shame on me, sry about that).

So, we have this demand to connect computers using windows 10, the goal is to have a main computer, acting as a server, hosting the files. I believe this is done using a server to be the filesystem host server.

Searching for how to solve this problem, I saw that I would need to have a server with a router and make use of a l2tp VPN. This is correct? About the server, I could use a Linux Server (something like a Ubuntu, for instance), or I would need to go with something like a Windows Server (or even a normal windows 10 distribution)?

About the router, I searched a little bit and I got saw that those Mikrotik routers would do the job. About the VPN protocol, I searched a little bit more and I saw that the protocol OpenVPN would be better than the l2tp. Till now, I did nothing, all I have is those clues and directions. I still have some doubts, like: can a Linux Server be the host for Windows computers (using windows 10) to connect and put and retrieve files there? It is possible to connect those windows machine at the OS level, using this "stack" I mentioned? If I am going in the wrong direction to accomplish our demand, can someone point me in a correct direction?



No comments:

Post a Comment