Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Best Campus Network on EX4600?

Anyone running MPLS on EX4600? It seems to have decent L3VPN support, but no VPLS/L2VPN which is a a deal breaker. l2cirucit is almost workable, but you can't bind it to an IRB. Dedicated interfaces only--doesn't really help me.

I'd love to move away from our current campus VRF-lite core/dist/access topology, but I've been handed EX4600s for dist switches. Access layer is pure 2, needs aggregation on dist switches.

I have MPLS on IRB working in the lab, but docs say it's unsupported. I can run one MPLS VLAN, do all the L3 stuff on there, and run the global L2 on VLANs in a traditional topology.. but I dunno--I got no confidence it late model Juniper code. I'd run with it if someone else went first.

-EVPN-VXLAN is an option, but no support to terminate l3 on EX4600. Almost a downgrade from our current VRF life at dist topology.

-MC-LAG at core is another play, but I read endless horror stories on here about MC-LAG on EX. Same with virtual chassis.

I feel like I'm back to the tried and true VRF lite. Spanning tree dist to core for global VLANs, and terminate what you can in VRF at distribution.

What's the best campus topology built around EX4600?



No comments:

Post a Comment