Saturday, October 16, 2021

10G Cable Tester

Hello /r/networking community!

I was looking at (potentially) purchasing a 10G cable tester. The reason I am posting here is I was curious how different 10G testers compare to each other. I understand that these are not cable certifiers, and currently I do not require a certifier, but having cables tested to see if they can meet certain speeds would be helpful. Why I am posting here instead of just google the answers is honestly cause I feel that these products do not have too much information about them available. I have seen different videos on YouTube regarding them (mostly just about a general overview), and read a few articles about them too (but most of these are about very specific things regarding them). I mostly just want to know in real world examples how people have faired with these products, and maybe what industry you are in while using them (ie, IT, AV, CCTV, Automation)?

 

The 10G testers in question are:

Fluke LinkIQ: https://www.fluke.com/en-ca/product/network-cable-testers/copper/linkiq-100

Cost: $2,500 (cad) for just unit

Info: A relatively new product (I think to replace the CableIQ?). Looks extremely basic in function, able to test if a cable works, what speeds it gets, has POE, has network on it, and tone cables.

 

netAlly Etherscope nXG (EXG-200): https://www.netally.com/products/etherscopenxg/

Cost: $10,500 (usd) for just unit

Info: Real advance unit it seems, either ethernet and Wi-Fi testing capabilities. I saw that netAlly seems to greatly support this unit with lots features and upgrades in it. Can test cables, WiFi, check speeds, check networking issues, fiber testing. I got mixed information with whether it does POE testing.

 

netAlly Linkrunner 10G (LR10G): https://www.netally.com/products/linkrunner10g/

Cost: $7,800 (cad) for kit including IntelliTone

Info: Seems to be a Etherscope nXG without any WiFi stuff. I don't understand what else is different.

 

Trend Networks SignalTek 10G Pro (157003): https://www.trend-networks.com/can/product/signaltek-10g/

Cost: $7,000 (usd) for just unit

Info: All around cable testing unit with fiber testing too. Seems to focus on good fiber testing and POE testing at 10G, and nearly ever ad I saw regarding it mentions testing cables for WiFi access points.

 

I know there are some other other (like from EXFO and such), so if you think there is another option worth mentioning, please do!

Thanks!

 

Edit: I tried to clean up the formatting, lol



No comments:

Post a Comment