Monday, September 13, 2021

VXLAN deployment question

Good afternoon all, any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I am currently working as an intern, as I retire from Active Duty military, with a local internet transport service provider as they try to transition from a WISP to a FTTH provider. The owner, when I came board is looking to use VXLAN to extend layer 2 to customer PONs from the BNG. With that said, I have run laps of the internet looking for documentation of scenarios where this might work. All examples I find are limited to data center employment between VMs and a server. I am coming up empty.

​

Scenario is as follows:

Ring network with Fiberstore NS8650-32 acting as spine, distro switches in each area to represent cities would be Fiberstore NS5860-48SC forming another ring infrastructure with 2 gateway switches per city area on backbone. NS5860s would feed Ubiquiti Ufiber OLTs further broken out to Ubiquiti ONUs to which subscribers would connect their home routers.

​

The desired outcome is for vxlans to separate different Internet service providers in each city. These VXLANs would terminate at a distro switch that supports VXLANs. In theory they would be mapped to a VLAN uplinked from user access switches. Is VXLAN the right answer? Has anyone seen it used in this fashion to connect a subscriber to transport up to a BNG and not in a data center or VM environment?

​

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.



No comments:

Post a Comment