Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Virtual Machine for VPN Connections to Client Sites?

Is it possible to have a VM configured with many VPN network connections? My company has many clients that we can connect to to troubleshoot issues with in their networks. I have to configure all of my techs PCs to have access to all current and whenever we get a new client, the new environments. Then if they leave the company, I have to remove that access.

I thought of just giving them access to a machine at the office that has all of these devices configured, but I ran into routing issues. I ended up forwarding the RDP port thru our firewall, creating one user that everyone uses, and setting up all of the connections with in that setup. It has worked ok for us since then, but we have had issues with it:

  1. The PC is susceptible to power and internet problems. A couple of times I have had to go in and power the PC on. It hasn't been often, but it is never a good time
  2. Only one person can access the machine at one time. We are often fighting over the connection and kicking each other off since there is no warning when someone else connects.
  3. I hate that I have this machine exposed to the internet

I thought that I could set up a Cloud Based server for this, and give everyone user-level access. But as soon as the VPN connection negotiates, the RDP connection drops.

Am I going about this wrong? Is there another service or device that will handle this issue?

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment