Wednesday, September 22, 2021

opensource networking monitoring/ticketing system?

At my first networking job, I worked at a NOC that had their ticketing system built into their SNMP server(Nagios).

It didn't have a lot of customer-facing functionality, but a big plus was that if the alarm state change which you opened a ticket on changed, then the status of the ticket would be green - OK ... indicating that the condition has abated. ( stateful monitoring)

Currently I work in a NOC where all of our systems do not talk with each other. Worse, our ticketing system does not have a GUI(runs on a Windows application) so I cannot build any interoperability between our different systems unless our iT grants me access to our ticketing system's database and our IT is so useless I'm pretty sure they don't even know how to do that, or the solution is entirely vendor managed and they don't have a way to access the database.

Does anyone know which solution / plugin/ GUI I might have seen so many years ago which had a ticketing system integrated to Nagios' SNMP server? Is there a similar system I can deploy?

I know there are open source solutions that do ticketing well(like OSticket)... and I know that there are open source ways of creating an SNMP server(Nagios Core)... but is there a Nagios core plugin or nagios XI plugin that can help me do both?

thank you



No comments:

Post a Comment