Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Need some career advice...

Guys, can someone please provide me some career insight on this offer I am about to get? I know I must ultimately make the decision myself, but any insight would be helpful...

Currently, I am a lead engineer making pretty good money for my age. I am very happy with the company and basically run the entire network...

My downsides: they will not give me a raise and they do not have the $$$$ to expose me to emerging techs (I really want to get involved with ACI, SD-WAN, etc..... Additionally, there is nowhere for me to go upward. I asked them to create a new role and let me try to fill it.. they said no.

I just got an offer for a fortune 50 company... Double the pay I have now, deep into 6 figure territory. BUT... Contract to hire. I do genuinely believe I would be converted. Additional downsides: 1.5 hour commute... Working in the office is mandatory. Right now I WFH 100%.... Also, they marketed the position to me as an Sr ACI engineer, but it seems that really what happens is: Design team sends me a design, I design the "implementation work", and then a layer 1 team deploys the tech... So it is almost like a Network PM role. However, there would be room for expansion

Idk, I was really excited to work with ACI finally but it looks like I wont be touching the APIC that much at all.... There are a lot of cons, but the $$$$ is the biggest pro. Should I take it? Or wait until CCNP and try to get something better.

Also, I know there is always the saying money doesn't buy happiness and not to chase the money, but this salary range would literally be life-changing for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment