Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Meraki APs with a lot of Authentication Step failures

I've just taken on a charter school with 800 students which means about 1200 devices. They are primarily wireless so they are fully dependent on their MR53 APs which there are 21 of them.

I'm not too familiar with Meraki but at this scale, I don't believe I should be seeing as much as 10% of devices with connection problems. All of which are at the Authentication step.

A little background on the current config:

  • 2.4Ghz disabled across the board.
  • 20Mhz channel width on 5Ghz for maximum channel availability. Channel utilization for 5Ghz reports healthy.
  • 10Mbps bandwidth limit for students (20Mbps Global) with average WAN usage as 160Mbps (1Gbps Fiber from ISP)
  • 1 Staff SSID/VLAN and 1 Student SSID/VLAN on /22 (with no wireless isolation enabled). I am not seeing any alerts regarding a shortage in the DHCP IP pool.

I've already opened a ticket with Cisco and am waiting but am not a Cisco preferred vendor so I don't know just how responsive or helpful they are these days.

In summary, I'm hoping you guys could confirm that 10% is within the expected failure rate and I'm on a wild goose chase, or maybe there is a factor I haven't considered. While I am waiting for support, I have also noted that we do not have control over these devices (most are BYOD) and it is well within the realm of possibility we are looking at a bunch of outdated drivers and firmware out there. Any input is appreciated!!



No comments:

Post a Comment