Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Interview questions too hard??

I've been interviewing people lately for a Senior Network engineer position we have. A senior position is required to have a CCNA plus 5 years of experience. Two of these basic questions stump people and for the life of me, I don't know why. 1. Describe the three-way TCP handshake. It's literally in the CCNA book! 2. Can you tell me how many available IPs are in a /30 subnet?

One person said the question was impossible to answer. Another said subnetting is only for tests and not used in real life. I don't know about anyone else, but I deal with TCP handshakes and subnetting on a daily basis. I haven't found a candidate that knows the difference between a sugar packet and a TCP packet. Am I being unrealistic here?



No comments:

Post a Comment