Thursday, September 9, 2021

Inter-VLAN Routing

Hey guys,

So I recently implemented VLANs into our organization since we were running out of IPs in our single subnet and many of our switches needed updated to managed switches. After installing all of the switches and working with our managed firewall service team I was able to get all of the VLANs I needed to configured. For the sake of simplicity, since all of our access list between networks already went through our firewall I decided to keep it that way when I separated out our servers, workstations, and printers onto different VLANs. Instead of using our new layer 3 switch at our core. After moving a bunch of the workstations over to the new VLAN with the correct access list in place for those computers to be able to access the file server on a separate VLAN. I found that the users who were on the new VLAN had issues opening documents on the file server with it taking on average 20 seconds to open a 25kb file. Users who were on the same VLAN as the file server did not notice any slow down in their connection. after doing some test with iperf I noticed that there was a 200mbit connection between the file server and the workstations which should be plenty fast for the 25kb file to open. I copied the files from the fileserver to the workstation and that was fast. but when opening, saving, and closing the file across the VLANs. it was pretty slow. I also tried it between 2 PCs on the new VLAN and it was fast as well. It's only between 2 separate VLANs. Do you guys have any ideas on why that might be?

Our edge switches are Aruba 1930s which all connect to an Aruba 2930f which then go into our cisco asa 5525 firewall. I'm pretty confident that this equipment should be able to handle this considering it was doing it before I separated devices. The managed firewall team said that both networks have the same security level and they verified there is no extra packet filtering or anything happening.

Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment