Wednesday, September 1, 2021

How to realize our full potential

I'm a rookie K12 SysAdmin (mostly experienced in SOHO) and I took over a few years ago as the solo IT guy at a small, private school. We have been blessed with stable, fast fiber to our building. We currently have a Meraki MX84 that's working great (specs on page 12 here), and our speeds run ~200Mbps and currently (at 9PM) getting 290Mbps down. This ISP offers "our best possible speed" and I know that other locations in our city with this service can get up to 1Gbps, so I'm naturally curious if we could get better speeds by upgrading the Meraki to a newer model.

The MX84 specs show "Advanced Security Throughput: 320Mbps", so this seems to align with the 290 that I'm getting right now. (We have Advanced Security running, so I don't expect to get the nominal 500Mbps mentioned on the spec sheet.) The MX85 says "Advanced Security Throughput: 750Mbps", so this might give us quite a boost.

We have GbE switches, cat5e & cat6, so this Meraki box is the only candidate for a bandwidth bottleneck (AFAICT).

A) How likely is it that upgrading this equipment will "unleash" our WAN speeds?

B) Can I test this without a) messing up our current configuration or b) buying the newer MX model? (There are other ethernet jacks in the fiber ONT, but I'm hesitant to just start experimenting with it!)



No comments:

Post a Comment