Wednesday, September 15, 2021

home hobbyist and need help with UTP->patch panel->FTP

So I'm no tech guru or networking expert by any means. I can plug wires in and that's about it but over the last several years I've been slowly hard wiring devices for speed/reliability. I did about 3 second of research and saw Cat8 was the newest shit and found this cable to be comparable in price to any other product when making small purchases. After years of 6 feet here, 50 feet there I now have 14 wires running from my switch and I want to hard wire every floor to make my life easier. A friend was able to get me a 1000' Cat6a Plenem UTP for cheap and now I want to add a patch panel to my setup. The cable I already have is FTP and I'm seeing that patch panel makes a difference for my wiring. Since I'm already using FTP with shielded termination I should use a metal patch. I'm also seeing the keystone passthrough should also be shielded for this wire. My question is, can I use the cat6a from my switch to my patch panel and the cat8 wiring from the back to each device as is already run or is that an issue as the cat6a is unshielded? Also does it really matter for a grounded patch panel?

TLDR: Can cat 6a Plenem UTP be connected to a plastic unshielded patch panel with this as the back to each device?



No comments:

Post a Comment