Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Device to receive UDP audio broadcasts

Is there a device that does one thing, and does it well: listen for UDP multicast audio data and converts it to analog through, say, a 3.5mm jack output?

Ideally it would connect to the network with an ethernet cable but wifi would be fine too.

The digital audio format doesn't really matter. Could be ADPCM 8bit 22khz mono or anything else. MP3 even. We use ffmpeg to broadcast the audio from another system so we get to choose ;)

We currently have a SNOM PA1 device that does its job well of being a PA device for the IP phone system. It also does what I described above but the darn thing gets updates once in a while and its configuration changes and it stops listening to multicasts without warning. It's a nice feature of the PA1 but sometimes I wonder if we're the only ones using it.

Now I know I could build one myself with an ESP32 or ESP8266 and some DAC but I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel, if that's the case here.

Any suggestion of such a device? Does it even exist?



No comments:

Post a Comment