Friday, September 10, 2021

CAT6 keeps reporting opens on pairs 1/2 every 3-5 metres?

I've run some CAT6 cable through the ceiling space - length is approximate 50m.

I'm testing it with a cable certifier (Viavi Certifier40G) - and also checked with a NetAlly Etherscope - and it's telling me there's a open at one end.

The problem is, I keep cutting off the length where the fault is meant to be - I re-test it, and it's telling me there's another open on pairs 1/2 further down.

For example, first it said there was a short around 3.5m:

https://i.imgur.com/ZuItrHZ.jpg

So I cut off approximately 4m of cable, and then re-crimped.

I re-tested, and it said there was another open on pairs 1/2 further down again about 4.5m - so I cut off 5m of cable, and re-crimped, and re-tested - same story - another 4m there's apparently an open on pairs 1/2.

Is it possible this cable's just been damaged at multiple points along, whilst fishing?

Or some other explanation?

(I did punch it down to the patch panel at the other end again, but to the same jack - however, that is the other end of the cable approximately 50m from the alleged open - I'm assuming it can't be the jack there)



No comments:

Post a Comment