Friday, September 24, 2021

BGP Advertisement Question

At my company, I have two offices that are currently using dual DIA circuits with default routes and IP SLAs for failover. Obviously there are some limitations to this design--especially for inbound traffic during a failover event. This has led me to looking at implementing BGP and peering with our providers. As I expected, when I spoke with our carriers, they said that they do not accept any advertisements smaller than a /24.

So to my question: In speaking with one of my carriers, I was told that I could break up a single /24 and essentially advertise a /25 with BGP. This is attractive to me, because 1.) 128 addresses at each office is more than enough and 2.) there will be less cost in buying a single /24 block instead of two. I've been reading up on BGP and how I would implement it for our network, but I haven't read about anything like that. I did some digging and found how you can use BGP communities to influence upstream paths, but is that really what they were talking about? Can you really take a single /24 and effectively advertise it as two /25s at separate locations?

This is my first foray into BGP, so I appreciate any guidance you can offer.



No comments:

Post a Comment