Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Advice for upcoming comms room re-patching project

Hi guys,
First of all I just want to thank you all in advance for bearing with me on this. As a bit of backstory, I've recently started a new role as an IT admin for an SME in the UK. My background is primarily MSP-based, mainly Service Desk (1st/2nd/3rd line) with a little Projects, Field and Onboarding thrown into the mix too.

Anyway, I've inherited a project at the new place to install 3 new 48-port switches to combine to a total of 8 switches across our 3 48U cabinets. While I have installed switches in cabinets plenty of times, these were either totally new builds or emergency repairs where cable management etc was not of major concern. This time however, we're looking to completely re-cable all 3 cabinets for ease of management and to improve the overall aesthetic.

The caveat is that we currently have a total of 27 24 port patch panels in the cabinets, with an expectation for this to grown by a few more in the next year or so. Of course, this means we have a pretty large overlap of patch panels to switches. Luckily, not all of the ports on the patch panels are used, however there will be an expectation to be able to quickly/easily move cables between the panels/switches in the future, as-and-when they're needed.

I'm currently planning the layout of our 3 cabinets and am trying to work out how best to set it all out. There's no set deadline so I can spend as long as I need (within reason) researching, planning and testing solutions before the final implementation. I was wondering if there are any resources you guys could point me to please so that I can learn how best to plan my racks? This is a project far larger than I'm used to, but I still want to get it right. I'm struggling to work out where I should be placing each patch panel and their corresponding switches.

Some additional info that may also help:

  • 3x 48U cabinets, side-by-side
  • Around 16-20U of each cabinet is taken up by miscellaneous equipment (UPS and routers etc)
  • No servers or rack-mounted computers, apart from one SFF PC that we may end up rack mounting (used for general IT admin and hosting a very lightweight server)

Thanks for reading, and I hope I've provided enough information. I'm not asking for the project to be planned out for me, but if you have any suggestions of how I should lay this out, can tell me any keywords I should know to help my research or can point me in the direction of any good resources out there would be of great help to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment