Thursday, August 19, 2021

What's the advantage of tone dialing vs. pulse dialing other than speed?

I don't know if this is the right sub-reddit for this question, but I have a feeling people here will be knowledgeable on the subject. This is all sort of ancient technology by now, but I'm curious about tone dialing vs. pulse dialing and why the transition happened.

Most people would say tone dialing is more convenient because it uses buttons. But they definitely made pulse dialing phones with buttons. I remember in the 90s having such a phone, I would press the buttons and the phone would dial with pulses. If you pressed the buttons quickly, the pulses would queue up and it would take a few seconds for all the pulses to be transmitted.

Even my dial-up modem used pulses, though maybe that was because the telephone exchange at the time only supported pulse dialing where I lived... otherwise a mid-90s dial-up modem have certainly supported tone dialing, right? I was a child at the time, so I don't remember how it was set up.

But my point was, why use audible tones instead of pulses? They could have made the pulses go quicker if speed was the issue.

And does tone vs. pulse dialing have *anything* to do with analog vs digital telephone systems? I think most people thought when tone dialing became a thing that that meant the system was digital now, but I don't think it had anything to do with that.



No comments:

Post a Comment