Friday, August 13, 2021

Weird serial connectivity issue (Arista 7050SX3-48YC8)

Just bought my first pair of Arista switches (7050SX3-48YC8) to begin displacing some of the Cisco footprint in my datacenter. I've hit the stupidest issue and feel like I'm taking crazy pills. This is going to sound embarrassingly trite / novice, but I have to ask if there's anything odd / unique about how to console in to an Arista switch, the pinning, first boot requirements, etc. I've just spent the last hour trying to connect to these switches (Serial to USB) and it's spit out nothing but unicode jibberish.

  1. Yes, I’m set to 9600 8-N-1.
  2. Yes, I made sure I’m not accidentally plugged in to the Mgmt port (I tried both to confirm).
  3. Yes, I’m seeing the same behavior on both switches.
  4. Yes, I restarted my computer attempting both on my MacBook (my usual) and in my Windows VM via PuTTY.

And lastly yes, I have configured literally hundreds of switches before (Aruba, Cisco, Juniper, etc.) so the familiarity is definitely there. I even swapped out my usual “goes with me everywhere” serial cable for the one they included. Same behavior.

This is ridiculously frustrating. Any idea what might be going on here would be appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment