Wednesday, August 4, 2021

VLAN configuration on Cisco 4948 to Linux "server"

This is a homelab networking question... and I'm trying to figure out what best practice would/should be for this situation.

I'm currently using two separate physical LAN ports (built on the motherboard) to keep two VLANs separate.

Let's say the VLAN numbers are 6 and 8. 6 is the main VLAN that gets routed to the internet, and 8 is the VLAN I want to prevent any traffic from getting out to the internet.

I'm wanting to convert to using VLAN on eno1 for both 6 and 8... so would it be best practice to configure the port that machine is plugged into as a trunk, or simply leave the VLANs tagged? I've only (in my limited experience) ever set a port to trunk for connections between switches. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work to a computer/server, but I thought I'd ask before I, literally, tear down my security system and rebuild it.

It's a simple question, I know - I'm looking for a much more experienced viewpoint.

Thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment