Friday, August 20, 2021

Struggling with networking

Hi guys and girls :)I am at school, trying to learn networking and stuff. These days I am doing one of several hand-in assignments. No time limit, but at the end of the year i have to do a final test over 5 days. And if i pass, i will get a certificate of apprenticeship.

Anyway, I don't understand this. Either I am too stupid, or the teachers doesn't explain it good enough, or both. Therefore I chose to reach out to you guys. I have some questions that I hope you will answer. Thanks in advance :)

P.S: Sorry for my garbage english

Network setup
Click the link to see my setup, with explanation
https://ptpimg.me/f928q6.jpg

I have two LANs; LAN1 and LAN2. The reason why I did it like this was to be able to control access between networks. The backup pc on LAN 2 have one only purpose, keeping backups from the server. No other machines than the server should have access to this. Server will push updates to the backup machine.

The server and all the PCs of the employees of this fictitious company are on LAN 1. Server are accessible to the employees.

I am using PFSense on a laptop that is my router. I have 2 USB Ethernet adapters (in addition to the built-in one which is connected to "WAN") connected to it, each of them set up as a LAN.

It may be easier ways, f.ex using VLANs or something. But I am not there yet. Still learning :)

Questions:

  1. When setting up firewall rules, does EACH of the LANs have their own firewall? Or does PFSense just make it look that way? Does all the rules end up in ONE firewall, controlling separate accesses ? It makes more sense, but my teacher say that EACH lan have their own separate firewall.
  2. If eah LAN have their own separate firewall, how do i configure access? Do I allow OUTBOUND traffic from LAN1 or INBOUND traffic into LAN2? Or BOTH??
  3. Is there a better way to do this? Am I doing it wrong?

I hope you guys can help me understand this.



No comments:

Post a Comment