Friday, August 6, 2021

STP topology change causing link outage

Hopefully this is within the rules, as this is my home setup. However the people over at /r/homenetworking could not help, and suggested I post here.

I am fairly competent in networking I like to think, however I don't fully understand spanning tree, but I've never had a problem with it, until now.

My setup consists of a Dell X1052P (Which honestly sucks) and then I have a 10G trunk over to my garage which has a Cisco 2960S

Recently I built a new box, and it has a Mellanox ConnectX4 SFP28 25G NIC in it, which I'm running at 10G with an SPF+ transceiver and its plugged into the Dell switch and has nothing to do with the Cisco switch

When this system gets a link, it causes an STP topology change and the trunk port between the Dell Switch and the Cisco switch goes down for 30-40 seconds. And, when the link goes down, the same thing happens! Its irrelevant to TrueNAS, it happens during boot before TrueNAS even gets involved.

There is no other issues with connectivity on the Dell switch which is odd to me.

I had to shut the box down to add a PSU, so I fired up wireshark on my desktop just incase I saw anything. And all I can see is this. The MAC listed on that STP packet is I believe the second switch. 10.0.0.11 is the NAS with the NIC in question

Does this seem to show that my second switch for some reason is grabbing the root bridge?

https://i.imgur.com/1SvmQm1.png

Its worth noting that the port config for the NAS is just an access port. Nothing fancy

Any ideas? This has me completely stuck



No comments:

Post a Comment