Wednesday, August 18, 2021

SFTP Reverse Proxy to FTP Server

So I know this is not exactly networking related, though you could argue proxies are networking to an extent. If this type of question is not welcome here, feel free to delete the post.

I've got a customer that, for whatever reason, has to stick to his plain ftp servers and needs to have them public on the internet. Considering his stance on security I was amazed that he asked me how to publish them somewhat securely.

So first idea was to have a proxy in front of them that does the ssh/sftp negotiation and then forwards the data to the ftp server unencrypted. I know there are appliances and software that do this for FTP/S but I can't find a solution that would be able to do this for SFTP. Is this due to the fact that FTP over SSL is really just that, plain FTP over SSL while SFTP is not really related to FTP itself but rather a completly different protocol and tunneled in SSH?

Anybody has some advice?



No comments:

Post a Comment