Friday, August 27, 2021

Redesigning my SMB's Network

I work for an SMB. Recently got hired, for the sole purpose of having a CCNA and being the only one able to answer the "how many IP's in this subnet". First day I got hired, the Internet was dropping hard, every 2-3 hours.

After some days, I traced it back to a surveillance server, that was overloading our network core (a DELL SonicWall firewall which can only process 200mbps), as this server was passing data between 2 LANs.

At this point, I am looking to put the Layer 3 switches we have in our company (currently configured as Layer 2 switches for some reason), and enable Inter-VLAN routing at the Layer 3 switch. This switch is a Ruckus ICX 7150 48 Ports. My boss wants to purchase new firewalls that are not SonicWalls (I recommended the FortiGate 60F or 80F non-wireless).

We are also running VoIP Phones, but ideally, I think we should setup QoS.
We have a lot of our calls drop. At times, the calls last for 10 seconds, and the call drops. We thought it had to do with our SIP provider, but that is not the case.

I'm a recent college graduate, but is there anything I am missing? Any other recommendations?



No comments:

Post a Comment