Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Question Regarding a VPN Connection and Static Routes

Sorry if this is a amateur question, but I am a L1 tech (working on my NET+) and have been tasked with a networking dilemma.


Current Situation (A-B-C):

  • Location A - 10.0.0.0 network (Not managed by me)
  • Location B - 172.16.0.0 network (Managed by me)
  • Location C - 192.168.0.0 network (Managed by me)

Location A and B had an existing VPN connection between the two, with an important file server at location A. Location C was just opened up and I added a VPN connection between B and C. Because location A is not managed by my company we cannot access their networking equipment and connect A and C, however users at location C need to access to that file server at location A.

I was told it is possible to allow hosts at location C to connect to the file server at location A using static routes. I have not been able to set this up successfully yet, but I am trying to gain an understanding of exactly what I am doing. In this example, is adding static routes at the location B gateway, essentially saying if I am at location C trying to reach a host at location A, then by using static routes the traffic will flow from C to B using one VPN connection, be unencrypted or whatever, and then sent again over technically another VPN connection from B to A, as opposed to going directly from C to A?


Still being new to this I thought that simply connecting sites B and C would give site C access to A, but obviously I am wrong.

Thank you for your time and consideration.



No comments:

Post a Comment