Friday, August 13, 2021

Network Issue - Split Data and Voice

Got a strange issue for a project I have been assigned. I have been asked to rebuild a network from scratch for a small organization. I have been a network tech for several years, but this is the first time I have run into this kind of setup. To preface, there is nobody at this company that can assist me - so reaching out.

Please see diagram here - https://imgur.com/a/El5n7aU

The ISP offers VoIP/Data services, the client is subscribed to both. This is an organization with over 1000 devices on a /20. There are no VLANs except for the default. So all of the devices, except the phones (which are on a separate VLAN), are on the same subnet.

Fiber comes in from the demarc to what I assume is an ONT with 2 network cables leaving it. 1 going to the vendor router, the other going to the company owned firewall.

Everything is fine until I found out that the data "trunk" (no trunks, everything on default VLAN) runs from the firewall, to the switch, then back to the vendor switch. Then, the vendor switch runs fiber via SFP to another vendor switch to a new building. That switch connects to the company owned switch then to other endpoints.

I need to run VLANs and subnets appropriately with the devices in the network. I am afraid the VLANs will not traverse along the fiber uplink to the other vendor switch in BUILDING B. This is due to unknown configs, and probably other factors unknown to me.

The ISP will not give me the Cisco switch configs. Am I wrong in thinking that there will be VLAN and security issues? Please let me know if there is anything I need to clarify. I threw this diagram together pretty quickly. Any assistance is super appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment