Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Just purchased a Net Prowler (TNP700). Can anyone comment on Pro's vs. Con's?

Main Aim: I'm just wondering if anyone can comment on whether the latest firmware for it fixes (or introduces) any previous known issues - if there were any at all - as well as Pro's and Con's please.

IT Technician, not full-time Cabling guy.

After doing much research into what was currently available (and affordable for my budget) for a quick basic Network Diagnostic Tool, I settled on the Plantinum Networks Net Prowler (TNP700 Model). It has similar features (and more, also less, in some respects) than it's Fluke Networks equivalent, the Link Runner AT-2000 - which was way out of my budget ballpark).

PockEthernet is dead as a Dodo now (and had some irregularities and quirks that apparently never got resolved and resulted in some bad readings), pairing to my phone everytime I want a reading would be a joke anyway, hence my selecting the Net Prowler.

I bought a NOYAFA NF-8601S last year (which I swear by, because it's absolutely fantastic!) and although it feels "cheap" in build quality, it's got most of the features found in the Fluke AT-1000 / 2000 and Net Prowler (for example, it can Cable Trace via tone on a live network, as well as do Port Flash, Ping, Wire Mapping, TDR, and Scan), but I wanted something that could scan beyond the first Switch it comes to as well as identify it via LLDP. It can also measure PoE voltage, but not determine output Current - which is another feature I wanted (and will get with the Net Prowler).

If you don't want things like LLDP or PoE Current testing, then I think that the NOYAFA NF-8601S is the best budget Cable and basic Network diagnostic tool out there to date. I'm still keeping it and will use it, but will use the Net Prowler for more in-depth diagnosing.

Anyway, thanks in advance if you can contribute any thoughts or share experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment