Thursday, August 19, 2021

Connecting an unmanaged 2.5gbps Netgear switch to my Dell Power Connect 8024F 10gbps SFP swtich

So this a seperate quesiton that sorta relates to another post i made about 2.5gig networking. I have a Power Connect 8024F SFP switch. I need to connect around 4-5x 2.5 gig ethernet nics to the network @ 2.5gbps. Obviously i would like a managed solution but none of them are within any form of affordable and at the prices im seeing i might as well get 10gig coper or just go all 10gig fiber. EXCEPT there are a few units out there , all unmanaged of course, that caught my eye. I cant remember if it's TrendNET or netgear but there is a 8port and a 5 port 2.5gbps unmanaged switch. I also saw a 10 port one with 2x 10gig SFP+ uplinks. The one with the 2x sfp uplinks would be ideal if it was managed.. i think.. Do i really need managed switches for this? I use VLANs for my esxi envrionment . I would be connecting 2 mac mini's with 2.5gig usb nics runnign esxi to these switches so i would want VLANs to work , but do i need the switch to handle that or can my existing uplinked 10gig dell power connect switch handle all that for me? Further, how does it work if i were to get lets say a netgear manged or smart switch capable of VLANs and connect it to my dell switch? The dell switch is an enterprise grade peice of hardware with a full blown switching/routing os unlike the rinky dink smart switches... but the rinky dink switches seem to offer all that i really need anyways which is just basic vlan functionality. from the 2.5 gig switch all i need is the 2.5gig link speed and for it to not strip the Vlan tag info off the packets when thy're switched i think.. will connecting an unmanaged 2.5gig switch work with esxi/vlans since im not asking the switch to do any vlan routinug.. dell and esxi will handle that.

thanks! stay safe yall.. cheers.



No comments:

Post a Comment