Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Cisco CUBE - simple call forwarding?

We have a Cisco CUBE (just a 2951 router) which our telco SIP trunks terminate on. It handles calls to/from our phone systems.

I don't do a lot with voice, but I've been known to go in and add a new dial peer for a new phone number from time to time, and route it inbound to the appropriate PBX's IP.

I'm dealing with a bit of an issue today, somehow a phone number which is supposed to be owned (RESPORG'd) by our cloud fax solution was ported back to our SIP trunk. I have tried routing that number to my phone system, then having that system forward the call back out to a local number. This works when I test from my cell phone (I hear fax tone) but when I actually send a fax to that number it says there was a communication error and I never see the fax come through.

My theory is that perhaps bouncing the call from CUBE to PBX, back out to the SIP trunk via the CUBE might just be hurting the call quality too much, and maybe if the CUBE could do it, it might work better. Again, just a theory.

Of course, the ball is rolling to port this number back to my fax service but that may take a few days. In the mean time I'm wondering if I can cut out a step here and just have my CUBE forward this call back out to another phone number?

For example, let's say my non-working number is 888.888.8888. I have a working fax # in the cloud, 111.111.1111. I just want the CUBE to take any calls for 888.888.8888 and route them back out to 111.111.1111, without "bouncing" the call off my PBX first.

Possible?



No comments:

Post a Comment