Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Cat6a unshielded UTP patch cables : Hard to find? Safe to go with shielded instead?

Hi,

We're going to run some new cables for IP cameras (about 10 runs). We ordered Cat6A unshielded UTP as the prices of the 1000ft rolls are quite affordable nowadays. And it future proofs that we'll be able to get 10 Gbps on 100 meters later.

I'm now shopping for the patch cables. Geese! Is it me or they're on the expensive side? Also it seems that shielded patch cables are more readily available than unshielded. Cheaper too.

I mean, one 3 ft unshielded cat6a is 13$. We can get five shielded cat6a for 15$. Go figure.

I'd go and buy the shielded one but I've read that when you go shielded, you must be shielded all the way, from the device to the switch... Or it could create more problems than benefits... That's why I'd rather go with unshielded.

Now, there's the so-called slim cables available in cat6A UTP for a reasonable price, but they're only 28AWG or 30AWG... The cat6a that we'll use for the cable runs are 23AWG.

So my questions would be:

  • Can the Slim cat6a patch cables (3 to 7ft) reliably transmit 10Gbps and POE?
  • Is it OK to use SFTP/SSTP shielded cat6a between the patch panel and switch, even if our cable runs and patch panel are unshielded? Can it cause any kind of problems?


No comments:

Post a Comment