Saturday, August 21, 2021

Cambium Wifi - cnPilot Mesh functional as "cheap backhaul"?

I'm evaluating alternatives to Unifi. Cambium came up in a few posts here and I started taking a closer look.

Question in short:

Does using E505s as mesh bridges allow me to bridge two networks and keep using cnPilot and cnMatrix devices in both locations and managing them in one cnMaestro environment.

More context:

One feature I can't figure out from the docs: Unifi is happy to automatically establish AP to AP backhaul if needed and then bridge all the traffic behind this AP (switches, other APs) back to the central location. This helped me out a few times when someone cut a fibre in the building or when users pull out cables. \o/

I'm also looking into a setup where we want to do outdoor wireless and might want to connect a second building that's over the street and quite close. I wonder whether this needs the PTP equipment or whether a simple setup using E505 as a mesh bridge would be sufficient. It doesn't have to be super high performance – a 5GHz link with something like 500mbps in this situation should be more than ample.

In case anyone has Cambium experience with this – running a mesh bridge allows regular clients to connect to the both Mesh-APs, right? I would expect this, but I'm so used to "surprises" that I'd rather ask ... :)

I haven't touched PTP stuff before and found the product overview a bit confusing, but that's maybe just me not having experience with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment