Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Best solution for Layer 2 over DMVPN?

(Posted this in r/cisco as well but figured I'd post here too)

We currently have a layer 2 ethernet circuit between our two data centers for replication. This circuit is inflexible because I can't re-route traffic elsewhere or add on a third spoke data center without ordering another layer 2 circuit. Because of this, we're trying to implement DMVPN across this layer 2 circuit in order to afford us the ability to add a third spoke when the time comes, as well as re-route traffic over other connections if need be.

My question is, what is currently the best method to implement layer 2 connectivity over DMVPN? I've done simple xconnect for other use cases and this is fine, but I need something that will be multipoint/mesh like the DMVPN network itself. The routers we are trying to use will be Catalyst 8300's, but I'm currently just taking shots in the dark in CML/ViRL with a CSR1000v to see what will work. Long term we will eventually be moving to VXLAN, but technology wise we just are not there quite yet. Our current Nexus/Nexii(?) aren't setup to support it just yet, and truthfully I don't have the knowledge to start down that road. I'm trying to stick with what I know and what works for now to come up with a more elegant solution than what we currently have, at least in the short term. I've looked at OTV, L2omGRE, VPLS, and VXLAN, and so far I can't tell in which direction I should go. Thanks for any advice!



No comments:

Post a Comment