Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Advice Needed: Best Method/Software for Network Config Template Management

Hey everyone,

I wanted to reach out to the community of networking professionals here on Reddit to see how other's currently 'solve' this problem that I'm having at my current job.

I work for a fortune 500, and the networking pillar of our I.T. Operations department is comprised of about 70 employees, and this truly and purely is just network engineers and their respective PM's.

Currently, there is no great system for creating a single source of truth for our network configuration templates. For example, we leverage Cisco ISR4331's for our current standard of branch router, and so we have a configuration standards document for this. However, it's just a dumb old word document. What this means, as that standard interface configurations, ACL's, object-group's, etc. etc. etc. change through time, that document never gets updated. Over time, this has put my organization into a state of conflicting truth when it comes to what we should be using for design and configuration standards.

I don't know if this makes sense or not, but I'm also looking for a middle ground between the Word documents of yesteryear and the configuration-as-code of the future (think DNA, ACI, etc.). I thought GitHub could work, but I don't know if that would be too steep of a learning curve for a group of people with limited experience in that platform or code management.

I'm all ears to any opinion or suggestion, so if anything comes to mind, let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment