Tuesday, July 20, 2021

What is a good argument for why I am not able to install fiber?

So I am a network admin for a DoD location. We have a part of our building that is being renovated. During this renovation, they want to run new single mode fiber to some wall jacks.

My team and I do not have a lot of experience with terminating fiber. A few of us have some training from Light Brigade taking a fiber basics course, but work did not pay for us to get the certification, so none of us are certified. We also have a fiber Unicam kit that we are somewhat able to do, but even with that, sometimes it can take me multiple tries.

Our higher ups think running/terminating fiber is a simple task and think that since we troubleshoot and occasionally repair/re terminate our current multimode fiber, that we should be able to do all this in house without any issues and save the $60k we were quoted to have a professional come in and do it for us.

So I am just looking at what things you need to know to be a certified fiber installer. What skills are required besides the basic termination with a unicam kit. Or am I wrong in thinking its more complicated that what others think? I am trying to justify why we cannot do it and they need to bite the bullet and pay the bill for a professional to come in and do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment