Friday, July 2, 2021

subnetting public IPs (not NAT)

Can someone explain public subnetting to me? I am a software engineer and I have to process about a million IPs. Many of them are public facing and have a subnet associated with them. For example, there is ip 66.187.###.### with a subnet of 66.187.###.###/20 (# redacted for privacy) everything that I know about subnetting says that the first sequence of bits in the subnet must be 1s, but in the case of this subnet, 66 is 01000010, which starts with a 0. I have only ever seen an IP in CIDR notation, but in this case, the subnet is in CIDR notation. My knowledge level is CCNA and I never learned about this. Does anyone on this forum know about public facing subnetting and could explain the differences between private subnetting (NAT) and public subnetting?



No comments:

Post a Comment