Monday, July 26, 2021

Subnetting in a largely unmanaged environment

Hey All,

Is there a way to segment devices into different subnets without VLAN tagging? Maybe, some janky multiple DHCP pools sitting on vlan 1? I'd love to be able to create a new "x subnet and vlan" but I have no way to tagging it before it gets to my core.

Note: I can get and use MAC addresses, I'm trying to avoid bringing in vendors to set/change static IPs for random BAS devices.

Context:

I have a site that through decades of neglect and the adding of system from different vendors is a mess. I've done what I can to get some visibility. The environment is daisy chain into daisy chain into more daisy chains dozens of different types of switches all largely unmanageable.

This is a remote location but I did get a chance to visit. I installed a firewall and a L3 switch did some basic mapping (identified 6 different subnets). I eliminated as many possible daisy chained switches as I could and connecting them directly to my new layer 3 switch but time was the big limiting factor and my primary concern was getting remote access and some level of visibility.



No comments:

Post a Comment