Wednesday, July 7, 2021

STP question: Should I disable STP on the uplink port to the new root?

Hello,

I'm planning the replacement of an old HP 5412zl which is acting as the core switch and STP root with priority 0.

New switches are a pair of Ubiquiti Switch Pro Aggregation and 3x Switch Pro 48.

The 2 Ubiquiti Aggregation are connected together and each Switch Pro 48 will be uplinked to both Aggregation forming a loop. For the moment, the loop doesn't exist. Only one uplink of the Switch Pro 48s is connected to the main Aggregation switch (no link to the second Aggregation).

One Ubiquiti Aggregation will be the new root, the second Aggregation will be the root backup.

I also have an uplink between the old HP 5412 and the Ubiquiti stack that I have to keep until the migration is finished.

But I don't want that the old HP 5412 interferes with BPDU frames while I will be connecting the redundant uplinks between the Switch Pro 48s and the second Aggregation.

In fact, I would prefer to isolate the new Ubiquiti stack STP from the old STP.

That is why I'm thinking about disabling/discarding BPDU frames on the uplink port of the old HP switch that connects to the Ubiquiti stack.

What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment