Friday, July 30, 2021

Palo Alto can only suppress inter-area routes

Since the title is the problem I'm facing, what is the best practice? I have a Palo Alto connected to an ABR. The ABR is connected to three other backbone switches. They are all in area 0. I would like to keep it that way, but seems like I would have to add an area to the backbone. I'm using a VRF setup and trunking the VRFs on VLANs to the Palo Alto through the area 0 backbone switches.

Would I be wrong to just make another area? Logically it seems like it would be confusing to troubleshoot later. I'm trying to keep the routing tables small. Right now, the VRFs have the full routes, but the firewall is in the middle stopping it.

EDIT: Thinking about it again. Maybe I should just use area 0 for the management, etc. Then create other areas for the VRFs. I just don't want my coworker yelling at me when he tries to troubleshoot this. Trying to keep it simple logically.

EDIT1: I'm limited by using VLANs on the switching and routing side. No MPLS.



No comments:

Post a Comment